Type here to search...

Thursday, May 18, 2017

The Progression of a Career

Young, Ambitious, Educated and prepared. All steps necessary to fulfill your dream career. When a job gives you lemons, make lemonade. Once you make the lemonade, sell it and buy new lemons. That's a true twist. Most peoples desire out of school is to travel the world and work. A great idea to sit on your couch and think about. I reflect upon the days of living out of a hotel and travelling all over Ontario. Magical it was but their is a time when your job hits a crossroads. Is that normal ? I want to assure you that all employees working for business encounter days when they contemplate the value they bring to the role. You ask yourself if you are even challenging themselves. Never get comfortable. Companies frown upon short term relationships with previous employers however maybe it is because they aren't looking at the bigger picture

Our generation doesn't stick to a company for an entire career, its the progression of careers. Things evolve and so do peoples mindset.

   I've dipped my toes into multinational companies that exceed over a billion in sales annually. Good for them but is it good for you ? A business from the outside looks attractive and enticing. Once you enter the doors and transparency is given, you then question the world of Ethics. I now understand why each year of my Bachelor Degree had a Ethics course. The top 1% of worlds biggest performers didn't get there by abiding to the rules. I can relate it back to hockey for all my Canadian readers. You are a devoted fan to a few select teams but when you lace up your skates and understand the true team dynamic in the locker room, then you know the real struggle. I always strive to score goals with every job I have had. I give each day full effort with full disclosure. Never burn bridges but keep in mind that not all bridges are built to last.

Never limit yourself to your skills or capabilities. No one wants to tell you this but there are  many opportunities in the world that you can work for. You should never be unsatisfied with the work you do. I recently put my resignation to a high paying job with high job security. People look at me crazy for leaving but once you have convinced yourself it isn't the job for you, then sorry to tell you but it isn't for you.

This post isn't meant to be sad nor disruptive. My main point is that closing a door doesn't mean another door can't be open. Keep you head high and push yourself to the limits. Don't chase the money because the money will find you.

Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment