Type here to search...

Sunday, June 5, 2011

Blog Cinco

Michael Althsuler once quoted that “The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot.” As I realize how the first month of my placement has approached, this quote seems to catch my attention. Time is impossible to slow down but somehow it has the ability to pass by quicker than expected. It feels like I just landed on Brazilian grounds yesterday.
I know to boast about a trip can only be so soothing to hear for a certain extent of time. Therefore through my blog I will allow my followers and fellow Canadians to experience some portion of what I have been experiencing since my arrival. I intend to do this by inserting some Portuguese into my next upcoming set of blogs. The purpose is to allow you to gain a personal insight on the culture of Brazil. Now to first get some Brazilian taste, I will tell you a couple facts to help increase your global awareness. First, Brazil is spelt Brasil and the appearance of the “z” is not visually present here. Second, we are classified as “gringos”. Wherever you go, the term gringo will be said in secret amongst the casual Brazilian conversation. From the convenience store owner to the taxi driver it can be found mumbled somewhere within there conversation. Now “gringo” simply means “stranger” or “foreigner”. The benefits of this term are simply not present, it basically means you get charged more than fellow local people. So hint to all travellers, spice up that tan before you visit and try to pretend like Portuguese is your first language. Though, the more familiar people notice your face around, the less you hardly notice the “gringo” affect. And one of the most obvious facts is, that not matter what you are talking about; hairdresser,food,business,health,bus, anything in general, soccer is always a topic of interest that can fit. So when all else fails, just bring up futebol (SOCCER).
Now my photos have slowly been adding up, yet due to the unreliable internet connection, the process of uploading them is slightly delayed at this time. But look out for some pictures to be seen within this week on my Facebook page.
Well another Sunday has come and I look forward to my post next weekend. Like always, cheers to all my friends and followers. 2 months left to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment